Decreasing fats, such as animal protein, and increasing whole grains is common modern-day advice on what to eat for a healthy heart. While this type of diet may be beneficial for some blood types, it may not be for others.
Because those with Blood Types A and AB have higher rates of heart disease, they can skew the results of dietary studies, which can be problematic for other blood types. For example, if 75% of cardiac patients improve on a low fat, high carb diet, recommendations that cater to the majority don’t take into account the remaining 25% - those with Type O or Type B blood.
Animal products are actually more fully digested in Type Os and Bs and they rarely spike blood cholesterol levels. This is due to higher levels of enzymes known as alkaline phosphatase (ALP), which helps break down proteins. On the contrary, for Type Os and Bs, a diet high in carbohydrates such as grains can lead to other conditions that raise the risk for heart disease. These include an increase in abdominal fat, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and lower amounts of “good cholesterol” (HDL).
A heart-healthy diet is not “one size fits all.” In fact, common recommendations, while beneficial for some blood types, may be harmful to others, particularly those with Type O and B blood.
Heart Healthy Exercise For Your Blood Type
The heart is largely made up of muscle, and as such, it needs exercise to thrive, just like your other muscle groups. And since exercise is also important for relieving stress, it’s especially important for a healthy heart. But not all exercise is the same.
Each blood type has a distinct programmed instinct for overcoming stress with exercise. Because Blood Type As have naturally high levels of cortisol and difficulty lowering it, they benefit most from low impact, relaxation-based workouts, such as yoga, tai chi, and walking. Overtraining or intense aerobic exercise can actually cause additional stress for Type As, causing more harm than good.
For those with Blood Type O, however, intense exercise is incredibly important and plays a key role in lowering stress and balancing emotions. Heart-rate-raising exercises such as running, cycling, and martial arts are good choices for Type Os.
For Blood Types B and AB, stress regulation and overall fitness are best achieved with a balance of moderate aerobic activity and mentally soothing, stress-relieving activities.