1) Read labels! Avoid hydrogenated oils, trans fats, chemical sugar substitutes (Splenda, Nutrasweet, Equal), nitrites/nitrates, artificial ingredients, high fructose corn syrup, sodium benzoate, and anything you cannot pronounce. Topically avoid sodium lauryl/ laureth sulfates, parabens, petrolatum, mineral oil, aluminum.
2) Adopt a whole foods diet, organic when possible, locally grown in season.
3) Aim for 5 different vegetables and 2 fruits daily. Mixed colors red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and black (olives, berries, currants, grapes).
4) Consume grass-pastured beef only, if you eat beef.
5) Avoid microwave use.
6) Drink filtered water, 1/3--1/2 your body weight in fluid oz. daily. Example wt.130 lbs = 65 oz. water. Green and herbal teas count!
1) Easier places to shop: Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Farmers’ Markets and the natural / organic food sections in Walmart, Target, Safeway, & Costco.
2) Recognize potential for food allergies/intolerances. One man’s meat is another man’s poison! Rotate the foods you consume.
3) If you can’t afford to buy all organic, then make sure root crop vegetables, meat and poultry are organic.