Posted on December 3, 2014
Who doesn’t get stressed every now and then? Between work and personal pressures it may feel like you’re always on the brink of being totally overwhelmed. The key is knowing when it’s happening — and being proactive about putting an end to it.
Here are some techniques to keep those stressors in check.
1) Peel an orange. Studies show the smell of citrus can help reduce stress.
2) Read a book for six minutes.
3) Hang out with your best friend
4) Bring your dog to work. Research suggests having “LUCY” in the office can lower stress levels throughout the day.
5) Listen to Mozart.
6) Let out a laugh or make a silly face.
7) Give someone a big hug.
8) Do a small project, craft, or color a picture.
9) Unsubscribe from all of those promotional emails.
10) Do something nice for someone else, or forgive someone.
11) Think about something you’re grateful for.
12) Exercise. Research shows it helps boost the body’s ability to handle stress better.
13) Power down that smartphone for a few minutes.
14) Walk the walk. Research shows if you carry yourself like a happy person, you will feel happier too.
15) Live in Salt Lake City (or just take a visit). It was named the least-stressed city in the country in 2014.
16) Let yourself have a good cry.
17) You can do anything, but not everything.
18) Choose not to wait in line.
19) Give yourself some quiet time.
20) Set “stress boundaries.” If someone or something is starting to stress you out, then step away from it.